What Is A Crown?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped “cap” that is placed over a tooth — to cover the tooth to restore its shape and size, strength, and improve its appearance.
What Is A Same Day Crown?
Same day crowns are made of porcelain. The crown encases your existing tooth right to the gum line.
Dentists prescribe crowns to reinforce a weak tooth, repair chipped or cracked teeth, to hold a dental bridge in position, to improve the tooth’s appearance, or for a variety of other reasons. Some crowns are emergencies such as the example where someone breaks a tooth while eating. Other crowns correct chronic, long-term damage such as teeth that are worn thin from years of grinding.
Traditionally a new crown requires two visits to the dentist:
During the first visit, the dentist makes an impression of your tooth and also prepares the tooth for the procedure. During the preparation phase, the dentist may file your tooth to make room for the crown to fit. Afterwards, the dentist gives you a temporary filling to protect your tooth while you wait. The dentist sends the impression to the lab and the lab makes your crown within 2-3 weeks or sometimes longer.
Weeks later, your dentist receives the crown and applies it during a second dental appointment. This process may take 2-4 weeks.
Thanks to modern technology, selected dentists can create same day crowns. This capability is currently limited to a minority of dental offices who have the right training and equipment.
How Is A Same Day Crown Made at Six Sigma Dental?
To start, the dentist uses a small 3D camera to take pictures of the tooth. For many patients, the process of taking 3D photographs is more comfortable than the process for making traditional dental impressions.
Once your dentist measures your teeth, the dental team uses computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) to create a ceramic crown custom fitted to your tooth.
Since all this is done “in-house” the 2-4 week waiting time doesn’t apply. Often a dental office can create same-day crowns while you are relaxing in the waiting room.
Ready to get your same day crown at Six Sigma Dental? Click here to make an appointment.
Benefits of Same Day Crown vs Traditional Crown
- -Timesaving: You only need to visit your dental office once to have your new crown fitted, created, and installed.
- -Convenience as you don’t need to take extra time off work.
- -A same-day crown eliminates the need for a temporary filling and the discomfort of two separate dental procedures.
- -Many patients find a same-day crown to be a more comfortable process both physically and emotionally.
- -Porcelain crowns look more attractive than traditional porcelain fused to metal crowns since you won’t have the fine black line that runs along the gum line with traditional crowns.
- -Since the tooth is made-to-measure the same day as it is applied you get a perfect fit.
- -Same day crowns don’t require the use of dental putty. Some patients find the putty uncomfortable and unpleasant tasting.
Want to see the CEREC system in action? Call Six Sigma Dental to schedule your appointment for your next restorative or cosmetic treatment!